Many people look forward to this time of year. It’s the time of big hats, pretty sundresses, big money, and horse races. If you’re part of the demographic who partakes in this social status event each year, you may have fallen in love with the age-old drink that accompanies the event each year. The Mint Julep drink has been a Kentucky Derby favorite for decades. In fact, over 80,000 of these drinks are served at the derby itself each year. If you’re planning on hosting a derby party at your home, here’s the best recipe you’ll find for a Mint Julep without having to hire an expensive bartender.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Leaves from 4-6 mint sprigs
- 2 sugar cubes or ½ ounce of simple syrup
- 2 and ½ ounces of bourbon whiskey
How To Make The Drink
- Place the mint and simple syrup or sugar into a julep cup.
- Mix well to dissolve the sugar and to release the oil and aroma of the mint.
- Add the bourbon.
- Fill with crushed ice and stir well until the glass becomes frosty.
- Garnish with mint sprig.
And just like that, you’re going to be deemed the best derby host in Cleveland when you serve up these Mint Juleps. Chances are that this occasion won’t be the only time of year that you’ll be enjoying a tasty Mint Julep after giving this recipe a whirl. Enjoy and drink responsibly.